Being clutter free does not mean having no belongings. This printable decluttering checklist can be applied to most decluttering situations and it will help you work out if you are keeping things for the right reasons.
Do I like it?
- Is it just plain ugly?
- Does it have a funny smell you can’t get rid of?
- Do I like the colour?
- Does the texture feel nice?
Do I use it?
- Is it 2 sizes away from fitting me?
- Have I used it in the past 3 years?
- Have I opened it recently?
What is it’s hassle factor?
- Will I ever finish it?
- Does it need repairs I am never going to get round to?
- Will I use it if it is mended?
- Do I have the materials to fix it?
- Is it a nasty tangle of stuff that I am never going to disentangle?
Why am I keeping it?
- Am I just keeping it because someone gave it to me?
- Am I keeping in the hope it will have value one day?
- Is it a part of something else I lost a long time ago?
- Would something else I have do the same job as it?
- Have I got more than one of them?
- Do I need that many?
- Is it cheap and easy to replace?
How does it make me feel?
- Does it have bad memories?
- Does it make me feel guilty?
If you love it; keep it, if you don’t then ditch it!